Jude wrote to encourage all Christians to “contend” for; not to fight or argue about, but to contend for “the Faith”. The word “contend” means to stand firm on, or defend the truth about God, about His Son, Jesus Christ, and about the Holy Spirit. But why is this important? Here are several reasons WHY we must continue to “…contend earnestly for the faith”:
1. Today, just as in the first century, there is communication being taught, accepted and promoted that is not true and must be recognized as false teaching. – Jude 4; 17-19; Acts 20:29-30; 1 Cor. 15:33
2. Satan is responsible for a swing from God-ordained reason to a touchy-feely sensation; (If it feels good, do it, if not, don’t).
3. These false teachings do not always come from false teachers within the church (one example would be the theory of evolution).
4. Ignorance is the greatest tool Satan can use in his deception techniques. – Rom. 12:2
5. Many people oppose the teachings of the Bible because it condemns their lifestyle. – Jude 16
6. If we fail to contend for the faith, it can bring disaster and judgment upon those who might be helped by our actions. – Phil. 1:27-28; Jude 12-15
We don’t have to apologize for the faith. Our God is bigger than we are and He doesn’t need for us to apologize for Him. But God does call for us to contend for the faith. He calls us to stand up boldly and declare what we believe in, and to stand firm against false teaching and false teachers. Defenders of the faith are perhaps needed more today than at any time in the past century. Who will arise and answer the call of Jude? Will YOU “…contend earnestly for the faith?”